History of “Five Blocks North”
Originally built in 1832 as Port Dover’s first Dry Goods/ Department Store (“The Fair”), it sat on the corner of Market and Main Street where the Royal Bank now stands. It was purchased by the local pharmacist in 1921 and moved by horse and turning log to 208 McNab Street West where it now sits five blocks northwest of its original location. Mike Meyer and Bryn Barnes purchased “Five Blocks North” in 2014.
In 1921 the interior was finished in classic Arts and Crafts style with unique custom made windows, doors, trim and casings. An addition was placed on the back at this time as well to add the modern conveniences of electricity and plumbing.
The main structure is 10 inch by 10 inch post and beam construction. This historic building is now fully restored with all original trim, floors, windows, doors and plaster. The upstairs floors are circa 1832 wide plank pine and fir, screwed and plugged with pine strip inserts. The main floors are circa 1921, 2 ¼ inch wide fir.
Guests to the home are first greeted by a 10 foot deep x 40 foot long front porch. Passing through the restored cedar front door you are welcomed by the spacious foyer with a showcase grand double staircase leading to the upper floor. The open concept restoration is further enhanced by main floor 10 foot high ceilings and has a great deal of light pouring in from the many large windows and transoms located on each side of the home. The twin fireplaces located on each side have restored original brick hearths and soapstone mantels. They have matching wood burning fireplace inserts that are sealed and complete with circulation fans that heat the large rooms.
The left side of the main floor has an open concept living room, dining room and kitchen. The dining room table comfortably seats 8 and is lit by an elegant scrolled brass chandelier. The kitchen cabinets were made on site from a 150 year old sweet domestic cherry tree from the backyard of the property. The Kitchenaid French door fridge and dishwasher are also panelled with this same shaker style cherry wood. Kitchen countertops are Barroca Soapstone as is the deep apron front farmhouse sink. A designer stainless steel range hood stands above the Ceramic topped stainless steel Kitchenaid range. A breakfast bar opens the kitchen to the rest of the home. An original pantry off the kitchen has been fully restored providing additional kitchen storage and is an ideal sun room for plants due to the vast amount of natural light.
The right side of the home has an expansive media/family room complete with a custom built in media centre with surround sound. This area has custom french doors providing a private area for media viewing or visiting. A bath complete with shower and generously proportioned laundry room finish off the home’s main floor.
There are three bedrooms, a den and two full baths up the grand staircase all with 9 ½ foot ceilings. A master, ensuite and custom outfitted master closet complete with an antique dresser turned custom vanity take up one side of the second floor. Both baths are complete with restored 1920 cast iron claw foot tubs, Shaker style wainscoting and custom shelving and towel rails. Generous closets and shelving are located conveniently off each of the spare bedrooms. The den is centrally located and is furnished with a loveseat, library bookshelves and a Covington Manor hardwood desk.
The exterior of the house has been restored to 1832 style with ¾ inch by 5.5 inch pine bevel board and 1920’s brick all accented with rich red trim. A local artist made the stained glass dogwood on the front of the home’s second floor to match the one placed there in 1921 originally fashioned out of stucco. Each back side door is made of cedar and is original circa 1921. The generous backyard is complete with a 16 X 26 foot garage/workshop. A light filled greenhouse/studio with a loft fills the opposite corner of the backyard.
In 2015 a door was added directly from the kitchen opening to an outdoor living room complete with a large brick fireplace. A pond with fountain spigots emerging from the fireplace surrounds the outdoor space. A deck takes you to the spacious hot tub and the outdoor area is complete with a pergola covered dining area.
“Five Blocks North” moved 5 blocks Northwest of its original building site and located today just five blocks North of the beach. Welcome to a one of a kind Arts and Crafts historic home located in the quaint beach town of Port Dover!